The WikiRate Project fosters collective awareness on corporate social responsibility and drives social change. We divided this mission into the following three main objectives:
- Improve stakeholder’s awareness of corporate sustainability practices
- Enable stakeholders to act on their improved awareness
- Incentivise companies to change their practices to the better based on improved stakeholder awareness
These objectives can be translated into the following specific project tasks:
Objective 1 (Improve Collective Awareness):
- Create an open social networking system to allow for cooperative creation and sharing of knowledge regarding a company’s ethical practices. This requires a crowdsourcing platform with an excellent user experience, ubiquitous website availability including mobile integration, the support and integration of real-time gathering of information through sensors, a multi-lingual set-up, anti-trolling/anti-spam prevention devices etc.
- Create and support an active community. This requires a significant dissemination budget to attract new users and implement appropriate community features to retain users and encourage participation
Objective 2 (Enable stakeholders to act on their improved awareness):
- Design and implement a crowdsourced comparative rating system that allows users to personalise a company’s rating according to their individual values and determine what companies are demonstrating better or worse practices compared to the industry average
- Engage users around sustainability topics with low barriers to contribute
- Incentivise users to contribute quality content through effective incentive and reputation systems including gamification, and by being part of the WikiRate community
- Visualise the data in appealing ways, such as via timelines (e.g. history of company practices), maps (e.g. local impacts) etc.
Objective 3 (Incentivise companies to act responsibly)
- Update companies on their WikiRate standing vs. their competitors. Survey companies on WikiRate’s impact on their practices
In Year 2 the Consortium undertook an evaluation of the project objectives. Following a review, the consortium agreed on a revised set of objectives which were articulated in D7.7.2 pp.23-24:
- WikiRate should be a centralised repository of all quantitative knowledge that is relevant to assessing companies’ performance in relation to sustainability issues.
- WikiRate should facilitate the work of researchers and campaigners who are active in this area – by encouraging greater transparency in the research process and the production of more standard and re-usable forms of data, and by efficiently integrating the work of volunteers into the research process.
- WikiRate should serve everyone with an interest in sustainability – with high-level ratings and overviews that allow for fast comparisons, but also low-level indicator data that allows for detailed inspection of individual companies by an expert user.