The Wikirate Project will foster collective awareness on corporate social responsibility and drive social change. We divided this mission into the following three main objectives:
- Improve stakeholder’s awareness of corporate sustainability practices
- Enable stakeholders to act on their improved awareness
- Incentivize companies to change their practices to the better based on improved stakeholder awareness
These objectives can be translated into the following specific project tasks:
Objective 1 (Improve Collective Awareness):
- Create an open social networking system to allow for cooperative creation and sharing of knowledge regarding a company’s ethical practices. This requires a crowdsourcing platform with an excellent user experience, ubiquitous website availability including mobile integration, the support and integration of real-time gathering of information through sensors, a multi-lingual set-up, anti-trolling/anti-spam prevention devices etc.
- Create and support an active community. This requires a significant dissemination budget to attract new users and implement appropriate community features to retain users and encourage participation
Objective 2 (Enable stakeholders to act on their improved awareness):
- Design and implement a crowdsourced comparative rating system that allows users to personalize a company’s rating according to their individual values and determine what companies are demonstrating better or worse practices compared to the industry average
- Engage users around sustainability topics with low barriers to contribute
- Incentivize users to contribute quality content through effective incentive and reputation systems including gamification, and by being part of the Wikirate community
- Visualize the data in appealing ways, such as via timelines (e.g. history of company practices), maps (e.g. local impacts) etc.
Objective 3 (Incentivize companies to act responsibly)
- Update companies on their Wikirate standing vs. their competitors. Survey companies on Wikirate’s impact on their practices